How does the Network Strength indicator motivate more real time feedback?
Today we're excited to introduce you to your network strength indicator.
This is a measure of how effectively you are using real time feedback to improve your own performance and engagement, as well as that of your co-workers.
What does the measure reflect?
Your feedback habits are assessed in 4 dimensions to determine
- The frequency of your feedback interactions,
- The direction of feedback (to make sure you are giving and receiving it)
- The diversity of your interactions (so that you don't get a blinkered view of your performance from the same few people)
- Your level of engagement with the feedback signals you receive
Taking all of these aspects into account, you will see a day to day indicator of your Network Strength. This reflects how successfully you are using and growing your feedback network. It is designed to guide you into the positive and long lasting feedback habits necessary for you to do your best work every day.
Your network strength indicator is displayed at the top of your feedback network chart. It resembles the network strength of your phone signal, because it is measuring the strength of your feedback signals.
There are 5 points on the Network Strength scale.
You start with zero signal (the red dot) and get 1 strength bar if you give feedback, 1 strength bar if you receive feedback, 1 if you interact using comments on feedback , and 1 if someone new joins your network. Your goal is to maintain 4 bars of network strength within a rolling 30 day period.
Clicking your network strength indicator will display your scorecard, so that you can follow the actions that you need to take in order to build up your strength.
Why do we need another measure?
When real time feedback or continuous coaching is first introduced, it is hard to break old habits and form new ones, so after a short period people (particularly managers) fall back into old habits of not giving and receiving enough feedback. This measure counteracts this natural tendency.
Like all of the features in the Pay Compliment platform, we have designed Network Strength to be psychologically safe for you. Embedded within its design are the CORE principles from Head Heart + Brain.
- CERTAINTY: The feature is based on a formula that is completely predictable. It is designed to create a new positive habit by providing you with up to the minute reminders, to establish feedback routines that reward you with an immediate change to your Network Strength measure (3R's of forming new habits)
- OPTIONS: You are completely in control of the outcome. Your actions determine your Network Strength and there are many different ways for you to maximize it.
- REPUTATION: Only you see it - so you're not in competition with anyone but yourself unless you choose to share it.
- EQUITY: The ability to maximize Network Strength is the same for everyone at every level of the organisation, and in any role.
Help! My Network Strength is red.
Using the tools within Pay Compliment, you are empowered to act on each of the criteria to maintain perfect network strength all of the time.
- Not receiving feedback? Ask for it using the Feedback Request feature
- Not achieving a diverse feedback network? Give or request feedback from someone new you're working with (include a customer if there is no one new in the workplace)
- Not noticing things that prompt you to give your feedback to others? See our list of 20 suggested reasons for feedback
- Not absorbing and acting on feedback you receive? Use the comments to thank the people that give it, make commitments back to them to hold yourself accountable against, and relate back to them what you learned from their observations
The Network Strength Challenge
With only 3 months left until 2017 is over, we encourage you to try maximizing your Network Strength from now until the end of the year, and to see the difference that positive feedback habits make to your performance.
If you are reading this article and you do not yet have a real time feedback profile, you can register for your free Feedback ID™ and profile or start a business subscription here.